"New Orleans Blues & Funk" Course w/ Jon Cleary - Now Available šŸš€

Hi PianoGroovers :wave:

Our course on ā€œNew Orleans Blues & Funkā€ has been published. Watch this video for a taster of the course contents and to meet Jon Cleary - the newest member of our teaching team:

Here is the full course page:

The course contains 7 theory lessons:

And 4 performance/arrangement lessons:

Course Downloads & Notation

The performances and demonstrations from the lessons have been notated and are available for download in PDF format. Most of the examples are the key of C but you can transpose these to any key that you like:

We have put a lot of work into the lessons and downloads so I hope you enjoy the course and the wonderful insights that Jon shares into the music of New Orleans.

Any questions with the materials donā€™t hesitate to let us know. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Looks great, Hayden and Jon! Such a cool expansion to the website. I love how the team continues to grow the diversity of content on the site. Canā€™t wait to check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Christian and yes Jonā€™s style is certainly different to the other styles we teach.

There is some cross over with other course areas, such as Chicago Blues, & Boogie Woogie, but the New Orleans sound has its own distinct character.

Iā€™m a big fan of the slow New Orleans blues style as Jon demonstrates in this lesson:

Itā€™s very rich harmonically and I love the sleepy and soulful vibe of it.

Jonā€™s Live Streams On Facebook:

Also you might like checking out Jonā€™s facebook page where he is live streaming in an ā€œAsk Me Anythingā€ format:

https://www.facebook.com/jonclearymusicofficial/

His live streams are entertaining to watch and give some more insight into his musical style.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

This is freakinā€™ amazingā€“great course. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hayden,
Iā€™m a past student and just renewed my sub yesterday. I had been meaning to do this for some time (life stuff gets in the way) but your new Jon Cleary course really pushed the boat out. I love the trad/modern jazz space but like you have a special fondness for the unique and harmonically rich culture of New Orleans blues piano.

Certainly there is important performance crossover between both styles and a music family legacy that should not be ignored - and I canā€™t think of anyone better today than Mr. Cleary to educate on this. Thanks so much for pulling this together.

Iā€™m hoping this will be an ongoing resource with Mr. C. If input is welcome, I would love to see some discussion on:

Port St. Blues

and the monster solo from this one.
https://youtu.be/_6BhzjjqZsQ?t=71

Thanks again - so very much!

John H.

3 Likes

Hi John :wave:

Welcome back to PianoGroove!

I hope you enjoy Jonā€™s course. I had fun playing around with some of his teaching and demonstrations whilst editing and uploading the lessons. The course is packed full of actionable insights to get that authentic New Orleans sound.

And thanks for the suggestions and the video link. We can certainly consider these in future.

Jon published a live stream on Facebook earlier, if you didnā€™t catch it live hereā€™s a direct link.

Enjoy the lessons and again welcome back to PianoGroove John! :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Hayden

2 Likes

Nice! I look forward to checking it out

3 Likes

Great stuff! I only subscribed a week ago to Pianogroove.com, not knowing that Jon Cleary himself would be one of the teachers! More than I hoped for!
And yes, Port Street Blues would be fantastic as well.
Regards, Christiaan

4 Likes

I have always been intimidated by the blues. Now I have to take a shot at it. Thank you Pianogroove for making quality music education available.

3 Likes

WoW! Iā€™m all fired up! Still working on my 2nd and 3rd jazz ballad tunes from Haydenā€™s lessons - and now all excited to watch this one! Thanks Very Much! Love the BLUES! :blush:

2 Likes

Hi All!

Iā€™m brand new here, and am so excited for this course!

So nice to meet you all!

Iā€™m trying to post a video but it says new users canā€™t upload?

So maybe Iā€™ll just try this first?

Thanks!
Megan

1 Like

Hi Megan :wave: - welcome to PianoGroove

The easiest way to post a video in the forum is to upload the video to YouTube and copy and paste the URL here. The forum software is not designed to upload and handle big video files - typically anything over 10/15 seconds - and so uploading to YouTube is the best bet.

Once you paste the YouTube video URL here, it automatically creates a nice embedded player and ensure the videos load super fast because they are hosted on YouTubeā€™s servers.

You can also do the same with recordings on YouTube like we share in our records thread here:

http://pianogroove.com/community/t/what-record-are-you-listening-to-today/37/

Hope this helps, enjoy the courses on PianoGroove and talk soon!

Hayden

1 Like

Ok, Hi Hayden and All,

Thanks so much Hayden for all of your help so far - I so look forward to meeting everyone and hearing what youā€™re all up to!

Iā€™m working on the Big Four example from the first lesson in this course, and if anyone wants to see a video of it on Instagram or Facebook for now Iā€™ve put the links belowā€¦

Iā€™m super excited about this course - thank you so much for offering it in such detail!!

My clip on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-0b-9rFAJX/

My clip on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/megan.jerome.9/videos/3345997198748440/

2 Likes

Great job learning Jonā€™s ā€˜Big 4ā€™ demonstration Megan. Itā€™s sounds fantastic.

I think you will also love the examples and transcriptions in the later lessons. I love Jonā€™s blues performances in this lesson. Canā€™t wait to hear your feedback on the rest of the course.

ps. If we post the URL on a separate line it creates a video embed (I edited your post above to do this)

1 Like

Oh my gosh Hayden you could not possibly be nicer or more supportive. Thank you so so much!!

Meganā€¦what fun!!! You brought a smile to my face for sure. Good job!

1 Like

hello piano lovers! here it is as fast as I can go!! cheers all!
m

Direct link here: https://www.facebook.com/megan.jerome.9/videos/3353373034677523/

2 Likes

Thanks Celia! Thatā€™s so nice of you to write!

Sounding awesome Megan. I love the energy that you play with! :star_struck:

There is something unusual with posting Facebook video links, after 24 hours or so the video embed stops working. The direct link will always take you to the video , but something on Facebookā€™s end stops the embedded player from playing after a certain amount of time.

I edited your posts again to include the direct links. Hopefully Facebook will fix this in the furture.

FYI ā€¦ The best way to embed videos here in the forum is using YouTube.

Thanks again for sharing!

1 Like

Ok, I donā€™t think I want to make my video of me practicing public on youtube, but Iā€™ve made it visible to people with the link - will this work?

Thanks!
Megan

https://youtu.be/3BVMA9aWOoE

1 Like