New Lesson Requests

When a pianist of Jovino’s calibre takes the trouble to walk you through music as harmonically complex as this, it’s a rare privilege. This is why I’m a member of Pianogroove - there’s simply nothing even approaching material of this quality in the increasingly crowded piano tutorial scene. Thank you Jovino for your generosity - this is what music education is all about, and you are truly doing Hermeto’s legacy proud. Thank you also Hayden for getting Jovino on board and offering such consistently inspiring videos!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Glad you like the arrangement Martin. Jovino will be happy to hear that.

He’ll be joining us here in the forum soon, we’re just chatting about some ideas to develop the Brazilian/Bossa/Samba section: https://community.pianogroove.com/c/records-musicians/bossa-samba

And thanks for the kind words. Your support for PianoGroove over the years is much appreciated and it’s a pleasure to honour your tune requests.

Any more just send them over and I will get them scheduled in.

The tune has such a beautiful melody.

I asked Jovino about the voicing Hermeto plays at 2:49

It’s called the “dog bark” and it’s a root position C6 in the left hand C-E-G-A and then a 1st inversion Gb6 chord in the right hand, bottom to top, Bb-Db-Eb-Gb

All of these notes together create the diminished scale C-Db-Eb-E-Gb-G-A-Bb so it’s the whole diminished scale voiced together. Interesting voicing.

I love the impact of such a dissonant voicing which then drops straight back into the pretty melody.

1 Like

Haha that dog-bark voicing is awesome! It’s also very reminiscent of the sound of the cuica, the percussion instrument that adds rhythmic accents on a lot of Brazilian tunes - has a stick that runs through the drum skin itself that when moved back and forth across it produces a high pitched sound. You see quite a bit of it in this Baden-Powell session:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/mW-3beTPQnE

This version by Sarah Vaughan is the best I’ve found.

Thanks,

Guy Philippe

Any chance you could do a tutorial on Everything Must Change?

Hi Wendy :wave:

Yes I have added this tune to our upcoming lesson schedule.

If there are any versions you like in particular, you can share the YouTube videos here.

Cheers!

Thank you.
The version I’m most familiar with is Karrin Allyson’s:
https://youtu.be/zi_Rif9SX7U

1 Like

How about a top 5 or 10 from the Woody Allen films?

Some great stuff in there

Regards

Bill k

Thanks for the suggestion Bill - if there are any particular songs that you like you can post the YouTube URLs directly into the forum and it will create a nice video embed like above.

How about a section on perspectives in which classics such as Summertime are taken apart showing how different versions of the tune are played and put together. We could then see choices in harmony, rythmn, and even melodic choices such as rolls or licks or whatever.

It would educate us all in choices and what the strategies could have been behind the choices.

Regards

Bill k

Great idea Bill.

We do have a number of lessons on the tune Summertime. You can see them here:

That will give you some insight into some different ways we could play the tune.

The importance of listening and transcription:

It’s very important to listen and transcribe from your favourite recordings.

I’d recommend creating a playlist for every tune you are working on and study each recording. Transcribe and emulate the parts that you like the sound of and that is how we begin to develop our own style, and our own ‘voice’ when playing jazz.

If you’re new to transcription check out the video and additional guidance here:

Thank you for that Hayden, I must say I am enjoying the ride thoroughly.

1 Like

Hi! One of my favorite songs is What a Wonderful World, and I would like to suggest a tutorial of it…found this Interesting version https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZLIxs33bA but unfortunately not a detailed lessons, with chord extnsions that I believe creates a beautiful jazz piece…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Ricardo :wave:

Thanks for this suggestion. It’s a great tune and I have added it to our upcoming lesson schedule.

As well as looking for explainer tutorials, it’s useful to listen to all the versions available on YouTube and Spotify to get a feel for how the tune can be played. Try to pick out little pieces of information using your ears and this will develop your ability to analyse music by ear which is an important skill as a jazz pianist.

Cheers!
Hayden

Hayden what about the comping style of Route 66? Would love to see your arrangement.

Thanks,
Steve