Lesson Request Everyday I have the Blues in Bb(Ray)

Hayden, I was turning heads at a restaurany recently We walked into the bar area, and I saw apiano and sat down and started to play Driftin Blues. Which I applied From Novice to Pro on Slow Blues.
Can you please do a tutorial on Ray Charles Everyday I have the Blues in Bb?

Thank you, and I finally tell people thaat I play piano.

Cheers,
Glenn

2 Likes

That’s awesome news Glenn - congrats!

Coincidentally I had a similar experience at the weekend. I went to a jazz club which was open until 2am and so I presumed the live music would be finishing around that time. We arrived around 11:45pm and the band stopped playing just shy of midnight so I took the opportunity to play a few tunes on the piano starting with the slow blues and it was very well received by the patrons. It was the first time i’ve publicly performed the blues too which was fun.

Yes absolutely. I think it would be best to create a Bb Blues course and incorporate material from that song and other Bb Blues songs into the different lessons of the same course. Rather than a stand-alone tutorial.

The slow blues course in F is now finished:

I had planned to move onto Slow Blues in C as the next blues course as I’m already comfortable with blues in that key, but we’ll see.

I’ll study the Ray Charles recording that you posted in the lesson comments and perhaps we can transpose and incorporate some of his melodic and harmonic ideas into the current blues in F course.

On a related note, here’s a blues album by Ray Charles that I stumbled across:

It’s not a solo piano album but there lots of nice piano intros and piano solos by the blues maestro!

Hey Hayden, that’s great. Would have loved to have been there!!

1 Like

What lesson covers Driftin Blues?

@rgranier - I believe Glenn is referring to this course:

and he is either singing or playing the melody of Driftin’ Blues over the 12 bar blues chord changes in F, using the voicings, harmony, fills etc… presented in the above course.

It’s a good idea to cover some blues heads that can be applied to the 12 bar framework - I have added this to my upcoming lesson schedule :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Hayden So I’m not missing anything. :-). I assume that a blues head is just an intro so that you can go into anything you want after you memorize it?

1 Like

Yes that’s exactly right @rgranier - the ‘head’ is the melody of the song, usually played at the beginning and the end of an improvised performance.

A lead sheet typically shows ‘the head’ of the song which is the melody and the harmony.

Jazz musicians will play the head, then improvise over the chord changes, and usually return to the head at the end to finish the performance.

If we are playing in a jazz band, we usually start by playing the head collectively, and then everyone takes turns to improvise over the harmony, and then everyone returns to the head for the final chorus.

Example blues heads could be:

• Driftin’
  • Straight No Chaser
  • All Blues
  • Billie’s Bounce

There are many different styles of blues such as jazz blues, slow blues, minor blues, Chicago blues, New Orleans blues, etc… and each one of these sub-genres has songs or ‘heads’ that are closely associated with the style.

I hope that helps.