Learning Logic Pro X

Very nice Scott. Sounds like you are having fun!

Here’s something new from Apple. You can now download a full version of Logic Pro X for a free 90-day trial. You can learn quite a bit in three months and decide if it’s for you. Have fun! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Apple has released Logic Pro 10.7!

It requires macOS 11 (Big Sur) or greater, but Ravenscroft 275–which many here use–works with any macOS from 9 on, so it’s all good there. [I downloaded Big Sur to my desktop today, and it works just fine.] And all VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library) samples and software work on a macOS 11 system, as well as with the new M1 chips and with Apple’s Rosetta 2 installed.

Here’s a free video showcasing the new version. You might be interested in the first three short lessons (more or less 10-12 minutes for all). The first is an overview. The next two explore this new concept of spatial audio and Dolby Atmos. Get your headphones on and listen. It’s fascinating.

(This video is from Ask.Video, the site I’ve subscribed to in order to learn Logic Pro.)

https://ask.video/video/what-s-new-in-logic-pro-10-7/1-introduction-to-logic-10-7

1 Like

Everyone who uses Logic Pro records their tunes in order to hear what needs work, but it’s also useful to capture informal improvization.

After I close out a formal practice session, a couple of times a week I like to fiddle about freeform, where it’s anything goes. Most is something that I’ll delete. But I often wind up hearing something interesting that I’d like to come back to later. As I can’t easily notate what I’m playing, I have found using Logic Pro to capture whatever I’ve come across to be a perfect solution.

I can then use the Piano Roll Score editor to print (or copy to PDF format) what
I’ve recorded so that I can revisit what I’ve done. If I don’t, it was just an enjoyable musical interlude that I’ll never remember.

[If anyone would like to know a way to clean up the way the transcription prints–eliminating ugly pedal point markers–let me know. There’s no point in posting such information if no one knows what I’m talking about.]

At any rate, a couple of days ago, I was finished with my practice and came across a descending minor phrase that interested me. I tried to incorporate it into my fiddling about and came up with this bit. The phrase shows up a few times. The clip is sloppy in parts, but it was a one take and out. Maybe you might find it of interest. Turn the volume down a bit and enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

Here’s something that might be of interest from a recent tweet from iRealPro.

Exporting to MIDI and MusicXML — iReal Pro.