joEY's practice log

Greetings!

joEY from https://musicaluniversefactory.com
practice stream on my twitch (through my website)

this sounds fun. im 36 i started playing at 13, guitars. at 18 took lessons from dr. mike petersen. doctor of composition. he’d stay 4-6 hours with me after lessons where he’d be at the keys. id say play debussy, whats that chord? what happened to classical music? hed play bartok, stravinsky, debussy, alban berg, schoenberg, charles ives. he taught me how to study and play.

he passed away. my brother passed away. i need music to survive. i am really putting myself to this. i applied for university, jazz studies, but idk they never responded. i applied to piano studio, they also gave up on me. i realized i had the maturity and all the tools to do this myself. i am now in the “music school of joEY”.

i found hayden (pianogroove) – true master! im a humble student now. this is my practice log.

MORNING: 30 minute of melodica improvisation, jamey abersold, book 1
sometimes morning has 45-60 minute breakout study if topic needs be

AFTERNOON: 2-4 hrs deeper study. pianogroove jazz foundations. diatonic 7ths. i am breaking out a little bit. taking jazz foundations but applying it to dorian. emphasizing tritone, diminished and lydian

EVENING: about twice a month “perform”, 6-10 hrs, free improv, hammond organ, mechanical electrical piano, melodica, singing, guitars. 3-5 days a week, perform 3-4 hrs, free improv, performance

last session is

its from the book Intermediate Jazz Chord Voicing for Keyboard by bill boyd. im using to supplement hayden’s 2-5-1 lesson.

my philsoophy is move as slow as possible. enjoy every moment. savor every note. use taosim & wu wui to inform my practice. trying to weaken my ambition and strengthen my resolve.

music going through my speakers r.n. is mccoy tyner enlightenment,

1 Like

Weekly update…

My melodica is out of tune. Turns out it’s a pain to tune a reed. I am trying to find somebody to do it for me, but it’s a niche skill, and I may have to do it myself. The tuning is irking me enough to give me just slightly enough resistance to not want to do my 30 minute Aebersold improvisations. I thought of switching to piano until it is tuned, but I do not find the tonal balance with the play along tracks nice on keyboards. What I need to do is import the play alongs into Pro Tools and sum a single channel to only hear the bass and drums. When I do this, I’ll also do some quick edits to loop the piece for 25+ minutes plus, so I can get into the groove. I’d like to do this for 5 books, Vol 1 Learn to Improvise, Vol 24 Major Minor, Vol 3 ii V i, Vol 54 Maiden Voyage, Vol 84, Dominant 7th Workout.

I performed a 20 minute piano improvisation for my passed teacher, Dr. Mike Petersen. I believe I will do many more for him. I am modeling my musical development after my experiences in his piano studio. I realize my playing is becoming formidable!

I am continuing to build a “simple loop” of developing and performing. This “loop” can happen in a single day (practice in the morning, improvise in the evening on disk), and it does, but I am interested in stretching this loop out to a week, a finally, a month. The reason for this extension is because I am simply recording “too much” music, because I am unable to mix and release so many projects. I want to slow down my release and tracking loops so that there are less and they are greater achievements. I am finding this tricky, because I love to record, and my playing is impressing me. So, unfortunately and fortunately, I have 2 piano pieces to mix… and possibly release.

I am developing some profound ideas on the relationship between improvisation, study, composition and recording, but I am not ready to spill it, yet, and still learning how to put it into words. It involves seeing compositions as recorded improvisations, musical recordings as passages of improvisation, recordings as after-thought captures of improvisations. Compositions are the achievements of what is discovered during improvisation. They are written down and archived as something admirable and also to guide further improvisation. However, even when reading compositions, they are improvised.

Due to melodica tune, I am moving to heavier daily piano studies. I bought a 36 key MIDI controller, USB cable and case so I can study theory when I am stretching out on the floor in my yoga studio. I am studying my mind often away from the keyboard, for example “what is the ii V I of Bb? How about F#? And Eb? A?” Having a physical keyboard that I can play on the floor while recovering my body will help keep my musical mind stimulated.

Ambitions are learning one (or two) altered dominants through all 12 keys. During one improvisation, I played I b2 b3 3 #4 5 as a quick melody line. This is a scale I often use, and then I move up a fifth and repeat it. It has connection to Lydian, and some type of musical symmetry I do not fully understand, but appreciate. I’d like to learn I b2 b3 3 #4 5 in all twelve keys and add this scale fluently so I can decorate chord progressions with it in all musical contexts.

However I must stay connected to my spinal chord of practice, which is PianoGroove. I decided as much as I want to finish the Foundations course, I will be OK staying here another few months before moving on, so I can learn Moon River, Georgia and the other pieces in all 12 keys. It’s going to be a lot to do it all 12 keys, hopefully I can do it in less then 6 months :slight_smile:

For all 12 keys I am playing scales in both hands parallel motion 1 octave, diatonic 7ths root position, followed by major triad/minor triad/diminished triads 2 octaves, followed by I V IV I. It takes me a while to get through all this, but I know it will happen much faster if I continue to study.

The pieces I am progressing through:

• Moon River, Georgia, Tune Up, Bach Prelude in C from The Well Tempered Clavier

Final thing is also studying Bill Boyd’s Jazz Chord Progressions book. I find it exhaustive in a bad and good way, and have spent a few hours just reading every note from the chords and saying what scale degree it is.

Music through my speakers is still McToy Tyner Enlightenment. A little John Coltrane A Love Supreme. Not listening to much music because I am playing so much.

I took a little break off, but I’ve kept playing my melodica. I discovered the melodica is the foundation of my musical mind and composition. This is because I consider the melodica the easiest to access the 12 tones. It is one hand (not two), I can carry it around with me, it has little harmony (“only” melody), the keys are smaller and mechanically far easier to play, and I don’t even have to sit down to play it. I train my mind on the “shapes” on the melodica first, then apply the shapes to the electric piano, or Hammond organ. It helps to have this preparatory step, so that when I have to worry about advanced application (two hands, two manuals, fingerings, technique, etc.) my mind is already trained.

On the melodica I am still practicing the three diminished 7th chords, via the circle of fifths, chromatically, and four inversions. My improvisations have become quite sophisticated simply by possessing the ability to effortlessly cycle through dims in all 12 keys. You really can convey much to the listener, and give them sounds they are not used to.

I am also still practicing on melodica the four augmented chords, also by fifths, chromatically, and three inversions. I do find these difficult. Much like the diminished study, the ability to effortlessly cycle through all augmented chords adds another sophistication and richness to my improvisations. I discovered much of contemporary classical (Alban Berg, Schoenberg, even Chopin [to my ear]) is based on augmented chords. I hear many motion picture scores when I play augs in 12 keys. I have about 6-8 augmented chords trained, the others are coming a little slower.

In my 12-key practice of dims and augs, I apply “random” improvisation patterns, based on an idea I got from Jerry Coker’s Patterns for Jazz. I will cycle through all 12 key dims or augs during which I “randomly” vary melodic patterns, meters and phrasing. I felt jubilation when I discovered that certain patterns of augmented appear in different genres of music. For example, simply play the “2 inner” notes of an aug and bounce to the “2 outer” notes and notice how it sounds like Indiana Jones, or Russian ballet music. My improvisations have grown in considerable maturity, because I can “randomize” (better said, explore) different shapes, phrasing and patterns in 12 keys, and take listeners to sounds they do not hear much in America or popular music.

I am still working much on the tritone. My latest advancement has been relating the tritone to the whole tone scales. This happened by accident. I first started harmonizing the whole tone scale in seconds. Then thirds. When I reached fourths, I discovered they were tritones. I started practicing harmonizing the two whole tone scales in fourths, which naturally takes me through the 6 tritones. That gave me a “roadmap” or “highway” to play whole tone passages whenever I encounter or choose a tritone. I see the whole tone scale as a tool of improvisational freedom to effortlessly move through any tritones I wish.

I also focus much on the minor second. In many ways, the minor second and tritone are the basis of much of my improvisations. I decided, by self-study, that 1 b2 #2 3 5 #5 is one of the most symmetrical, fundamental scales in music. There are some interesting properties here, which I can say more about later, but essentially, I am learning that one can invent their own intervalic scales (set of pitches) and then see what happens when they are simply modulated. I have been taking pitch sets like these (from the “family” of perhaps “Spanish phyrgian”), altering one note, and then studying what happens when they are modulated by the circle of fifths. Interestingly, sharps and flats appear in specific order and scale degrees, much like regular major scales. I see how “Tonal Gravity” (Russell) applies to arbitrary pitch sets, and I am practicing using this tonal gravity in these Spanish Phrygians. Final thing I’ll say about pitch sets, is that I enjoy playing random pitch sets through all 12 keys. It can be very hard, especially in a free improvisation. For example, one day I played D-D#-E-Db-F-C. It has a bizarre, beautiful, bird like sound. I challenged myself to improv that through all 12 keys. I am able to get through 7-8 keys, and have to study a few. Applying these random pitch sets to 12 keys is helping me tremendously navigate music.

Last thing I am doing on my melodica, is major 7ths all inversions. This will help me “break apart” the seventh chords between both hands that Hayden shows in his videos. Rather than going through R-3-5-7 in all 12 keys and inversions, I am changing it to go through 1-5 in 12 keys, then 3-7 in 12 keys.

I am reading “Harmony of Bill Evans” by Jack Reilly. I have made it through the Peri’s Scope analysis. It takes a lot of time – I read every note on the score and say which scale degree it is. It can take me an hour or two to analyze 8 bars of music. It is exposing a lot of concepts I am rusty on. I have been having long conversations with AI about secondary dominants and functional harmony. AI is an incredible tool, as long as I am sharp enough to call it out on its mistakes, which it sometimes makes, and then corrects. This type of score analysis is improving my musical mind. I am now able to much more quickly say that “A is the V of D” or “the vi of Db is Ab”. Analyzing scores with a good book will force the mind to be solid on these.

I just started watching Hayden’s novice videos again, mostly the modulations course. I may take a go at learning a jazz standard, but I’m not rushing it. I just enjoy watching his left hand alternate between 1-5 and 3-7 voicing, for example, or learning the chord progressions in these standards. I’ve decided not to hold up my video watching to actually learn each piece. I decided to loosen up, not force myself to play ANY standards, and let myself watch as many videos as I want. I plan to watch another seminar too, as that can help loosen up my study.

I decided not to go for a degree in jazz piano performance. During the audition, I realized I was spending all my time reading sheet music note-for-note. This didn’t feel like jazz to me. I feel jazz is an improviser’s music. I concluded that many jazz performance degrees are going to have players recite exact improvisations that were recorded or written down from improvisations in the past. I recognized that I have unlimited freedom creatively improvising on my own for the rest of my life, so why get a degree in it? If I was going to read sheet note-for-note, I’d want it to be classical, because while I can learn to improvise anything I want (unlimited potential), I certainly cannot sit down and perform a Debussy score on my own. I really started looking into getting a classical performance degree instead, but I realized I did not want to be so mechanically challenged (I’m 37 years old, I’m not young). I decided composition is probably right for me, because I’d rather compose my own music, and use composition as a tool for my improvisations.

I picked up manuscript paper and decided to start composing by hand while I wait for my composition program at the university. It’s hard – learning to draw treble clefs, rests, notes, stems, etc. But it’s a lot of fun. The Harmony of Bill Evans book makes the powerful claim (in the first sentence) that composition is the greatest achievement of all musicians. I found that an interesting idea. It may be correct. The book then goes on to “make a case” for Bill as a compositional master. Now, I must say, Bill is one of the true understated masters of music, but I have not totally bought that he is a “composer”. Or, more subtly, I wonder how much of Bill’s music, was a spontaneous outpouring of his musical mind? Yes, Bill could perform a string of 3 secondary dominants, along with a tritone substitution, with some gorgeous and unusual voicings, without any effort… but is that really a composition, or a momentary exercise of his abilities? I downloaded a picture of one of Evan’s scribbles – he did write his own lead sheets, or at least pieces of them. I am curious and mystified as to how musical composition (the act of writing) will “merge” or augment with my improvisations.