Eugene's corner

Hello Guys,

Here is a link for players interested in practicing blues with backing tracks.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KoymsqQ6wF4a7VJHkR4wpKmZFvqXdd5x?usp=sharing

Enjoy.
~E

2 Likes

This is AWESOME! Thank you so much!!! :blush:

1 Like

Here is a simple exercise for working on improvisation as well as improving your awareness of the harmony you are playing during the solo.

The harmonic phrase goes like this:
F7 | Bb7 | F7 | F7 |
Bb7 | Bb7 | F7 | D7 |
Gm7 | C7 | F7 D7 | Gm7 C7|

Basically, it’s the blues form in F. For simplicity, I play roots and b7 in my left hand for all chords. Also, I have my metronome on 2 and 4.

Now, play the related scale ascending in quarter notes. At the chord changes, find the nearest note in the next scale and continue the ascent from there. Descend when you reach the upper register and continue the approach of connecting chord changes with the closest scale tone.

When you feel comfortable with quarter notes, you can try 8th notes, the shuffle feel.

I practice this exercise daily for about 30 minutes and I have to admit that I have a lot of fun. I’m hardly waiting to finish my rudiments and work on the improvisation! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hello, fellow piano players.

I just found this tutorial on YouTube and I wanted to share it with you. The theme made me smile instantly. Antoine Hervé is such an accomplished player.

2 Likes