Brilliant arrangement for "When I Fall in Love"

Hayden,

I just wanted to tell you that I think your arrangement for “When I Fall in Love” is brilliant.

I’ve been trying to limit myself to the tunes that are more within my level of playing, but I got tired of the same old thing. I’ve been studying the altered harmonies and USTs, among other things, while drilling on the foundation stuff that I need. Looking at the advanced lessons sort of gives me an idea of how the foundation level material fits in, as in where are we going with this? It’s interesting that by chance, I had just finished Tuomo’s MasterClass on “Rhythm Changes,” and then went looking for something new to pick up. Purely by chance, I played through the transcription (slowly) :sunglasses: and then started your tutorial. Same stuff applied. I couldn’t have chosen any better if I’d planned it.

3 Likes

So true Scott! I just watched that lesson, realized I had completely ignored that one and the other “Disney” tune Someday My Prince will come. But there is wonderful music to explore in them both! But this arrangement is beautiful
Guess I better dig in to this lesson!

1 Like

Thanks Scott, I’m glad you’re digging the arrangement :grinning:

It’s a great tune for practicing 1-6-2-5 progressions.

I’ve always loved Bill Evans’ arrangement of that tune:

It’s amazing how he takes any standard and makes it his own, so unique, as if he wrote it himself. What a genius. :star_struck:

1 Like

I think that Evans’s version is my favorite as well. but then nearly everything that
Evans played is up there among my favorites. :musical_keyboard: Check out the wallpaper on my iMac Pro.

3 Likes

I agree the arrangement is lovely; although way too advanced for me. Maybe I’ll live long enough to get there. In the meantime, I worked on this several years ago. There is a wonderful verse (check out the Linda Ronstadt recording); and I thought there needed to be another chorus, so I wrote one. Here’s the lead sheet my teacher (Barney McClure who, unfortunately moved away) put together for me.
i fall in love.pdf (761.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks Wendy, I was figuring out that intro to that song by ear and this lead sheet will help

1 Like

This may have been before you lived there, but 20 or so years ago Barney McClure was the mayor of Port Townsend.

2 Likes

Scott, thanks for giving this one a plug. I was tempted to pass it which would have been a mistake. It is lovely!!!

1 Like

this is so true! Scott - Up to this point, each time I practice - this would be one of my favorites to play - never gets old! and I keep having the chills each time! Hayden’s arrangement of this piece as always - is a top notch! :blush:

1 Like