What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Anyone else know of any good Japanese jazz piano albums ? of course Ryo Fukui

Hi James
Ye i hear Emmet trio in a small festival near Bordeaux and was blown away too ./ What a beautiful :heartbeat:performance and a great trio all three are monsters i totally discover PHilip Norris wow Kyle Poole with quite a less of movement of arms just moving his wrists in such a beautiful way and the sound of his bass drums (never hear such)
the energy with such beautiful melodic and rythmic development from all three was very exciting !! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

what a beautiful tune Laura (his wife)
Laurent Coulondre have the touch and energy of Michel Petrucciani with his own genius really to be discovered

1 Like

@Pierrot

Long time no see!

Thanks for sharing Laurent Coulondre. Heā€™s a nice find. I did a bit of browsing and found his cover of Michel Petruccianiā€™s ā€œBrazilian Likeā€ to be interesting. I like the way he incorporates the organ into the mix. (Always been a sucker for a good organ lick. :sunglasses:) Scrub to around 4:00 where he starts playing. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

Good to see you again.

thanks Scott ā€¦
ye nice ā€¦ his rhythmic facilities are really part of his style of playing

incredible some times seems like Petrucciani getting back with young fingers ā€¦ joy and energy

Hey @Pierrot
Thanks for your note. Glad you got to hear them. Couldnā€™t agree more with your use of the term ā€œmonsterā€!! :+1:

Here is a new release from the amazing vocalist Caity Gyorgy (Montreal) and Mark Limacher (my fav Calgary piano player), doing Jerome Kern tunes. Curiously, they are apparently topping the jazz charts in Japan. Also love the retro design of the album cover.

Iā€™m new and just starting to learn Misty, so I was jumping around youtube for Misty performances when I came across this one. Just something different and fun.
What If ā€˜Mistyā€™ Was Played By 8 Legendary Jazz Pianists?

2 Likes

Welcome to PianoGroove!

Nice find, @John_M. Thanks for sharing. (And for finding yet another interesting tutorial site that I wasnā€™t aware of :sunglasses:)

I like that she includes Mulgrew Miller. Heā€™s someone who often doesnā€™t get the attention he deserves.

Thanks John. Iā€™m definitely going to steal the ā€œBill Evansā€ triad structures at 1:53. Havenā€™t completely analysed them but it looks like a III VI II V I with tritones for the VI and V. There are lots of other snippets in there worth studying, particularly the Barry Harris section! Cheers.

Listening to a great version of this song by pianist Bill Zappia:

2 Likes

Just listened to this version and itā€™s fantastic. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Itā€™s raining in Los Angelesā€¦ā€¦still and Iā€™m listening to Dave McKennaā€™s version of a classic. Love the stride style. Maybe somedayā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this @enhowland - a lovely recording of one of my favourite tunes!

I agree the stride approach that Mckenna plays is beautiful.