What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Recently I’ve been listening to Larry Young’s Into Somethin’ (1965). All the cuts are an organ quartet, but “Ritha” is a trio. Young’s approach seems more like a traditional piano trio here than the usual groove stuff we associate with B3s. (There’s another version on YouTube with the sax. It’s quite good as well.) Having Grant Green (guitar) and Elvin Jones (drums) on board doesn’t hurt either. Enjoy!

1 Like

Love it Scott.

I’ve still not had the chance to listen to more of Larry Young - on my agenda.

As I mentioned, he reminds me a lot of Bill Evans, those little motifs he develops and repeats like at 0:38

Yes it’s an interesting approach, a jazz trio vibe but with an organ. I like it!

Thanks for sharing Scott.

I originally got this classic album for “Poinciana”, which I love, but I found myself possibly even more enthralled with this version of “Moonlight in Vermont.” I love the way he plays around with the second line of the chorus every time it comes around.

4 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__7k0Bb0jSg

3 Likes

Wow that’s a lot of great musicians on one stage!

Hank Jones’ intro on “Someday My Prince Will Come” is beautiful (10:19 in the video)… I’m a big fan of his solo piano style :star_struck:

yeah i already hear this youtube link lovely interaction and contrast between chick corea and hank jones … i love them both with all their differences :smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard a couple of versions of this beautiful Brazilian fusion tune, but this is the original from 1979. I’m going to transcribe this :face_with_monocle:

https://youtu.be/w-ExOKDirwU

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been listening to Gerald Clayton. I was impressed when I saw him perform last October with John Scofield. He studied with Kenny Barron at one point. He plays standards but has recently been composing his own material. I’m putting two entries. The first is a well-known standard. The second is an original dedicated to Hank Jones. Enjoy.

1 Like

Loved his rendition of “Embraceable You” Scott… thanks for sharing.

I like how the dynamics of his performance are constantly shifting. He utilises all the registers of the piano creating many different colours and textures. What a wonderful performance :clap:

I’ll be studying some of his fills and passing chords when i get a second.

seems the John Clayton (famous doublebass player ) son ? … cool

1 Like

Wonderful. It’s a good reminder for me to play with sensitivity, not just to create complicated sounds and notes on a keyboard.

3 Likes

Welcome Anne! :smiley:

Some wonderful soul jazz courtesy of the Cannonball Adderley Quintet. Loved this cut for years.

3 Likes

Can t resist sharing this little piece of music … and wow so great jams there in ‘Studio jam’ … have fun

About this song “Little sunflower” … such a great one with only 3 chords going !!! impressive great composition from Freddy Hubbard … i already enjoy around … perfect for my foolish memory :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip about Studio Jams Pierre - talk about a wide range of tunes in there! :open_mouth:

I quite like this version. It’s a rare one from the UK, early 80’s.

1 Like

I love “Little Sun Flower” I’m in the process of playing that pieice from the arrangmenent in the “Jazz Gems” book that I have, worth to check it out it has a lot of great Jazz tunes that are not in the real book.

Anyway, this morning I started with fresh light Latin jazz :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds6RCcf28OA

4 Likes
2 Likes

Love it! Thanks @ariel :parasol_on_ground: :palm_tree:

another master gone last year Randy Weston RIP lovely fusion group
with crackles of our old vinyls

1 Like

I transformed via my pc and programms the original wich is not a piano version but an orchestra version… I had also small things via my pc keyboard. )))
sorry for this…

1 Like