Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Wow Great and lovely playing @LoriNelson !!!
Bravo !!! I dont feel lonely anymore :slight_smile: and hope other will have this courage .

thanks so much

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the nice comments. I had to record it about five times before my nervousness settled down (silly, I know! Iā€™m alone and can delete it :joy:). Anyone else want to present one little simple song that you have learned? Go for it! We are in this learning curve together.

1 Like

I just listened again Loriā€¦ your introduction is sublime.

I also love the ā€˜call and responseā€™ thing you have going tooā€¦ at 0:55 ā€¦ you state the melody, and then fill the space with a response. Itā€™s really nice :+1:

Lori and Paul,

I read with interest your comments about jumping to the tunes and sort of skipping over the the theory lessons. My experience with PianoGroove has been the opposite. I fear Iā€™m sometimes spending more time with the theory than the tunes. But that has to do with my own personal history.

I had lessons as a kid that like most I sort of stumbled through. Between 15 and 25, I played pretty regularly and seriously, but never studied muchā€“except for a year in my twenties with a guy that played marimba with Xavier Cugat (use your Wiki :wink:). I played by ear and did most of the charts off the records for the bands I played with (mostly rock/pop/country). No idea about extensions or anything of the sort. Just basic chords and sorting stuff out between ourselves listening to the records.

I never knew what I was doing. So now at my age I have one last go-round, and I want to try to figure it out formally. I tell you, Hayden, your approach is brilliant. With just a month or so of fiddling around with your system, I now know the vocabulary/grammar, the things/questions I need to ask to navigate some of the theory books that I have, like those by Mark Levine, Jerry Coker, Dan Haerle, and Bert Ligon. Sort of daunting, but they are starting to make sense now (well, parts are :smile:) ; it would take another lifetime to work through all thatā€™s out there).

And also Iā€™m so enjoying some of the lovely sounds of the chords in your transcriptions. Sometimes I just play certain chords over and over and listen to the sound. Itā€™s like reading/listening to poetry. I know how to scan poetry; now Iā€™m starting to understand how to scan chords. (Years ago, I had a recording of Dylan Thomas reading his works and would put it on when I was working around the house. Didnā€™t matter the senseā€“just the sounds and rhythm were enough to enjoy.)

1 Like

we all have our own tendencies, just make sure it is always fun and fascinating!!

I NOW try to take a little more time as I am learning the tunes to say aloud the intervals in my fingers; some of it sticks in my head and sometimes not, but I tend to just let go and keep tinkering around with songs and re-visiting PianoGroove lessons, I frequently surprise myself with some sense of ear/hand coordination even when I donā€™t fully understand what I am doing from the sense of theory. you are right Scott - its a lifetime endeavor ā€¦ So nice to have this PianoGroove community to support each and challenge each other.

1 Like

Awesomeā€¦ Iā€™m glad to hear that Scott.

Even after a lifetime of studying jazz, i think there is always more to explore and discover!

Thatā€™s great. I like to think of chords and voicings in terms of the colour and texture they create.

I agree, I find it such a pleasure to simply indulge in the wonderful sounds of jazzy chords and voicings.

YES YES YES @LoriNelson I agree with @paul1523727 with underestimating yourself but thatā€™s just a meticulous pat of our nature and ultimately what makes us better ourselves!

Your pace I thought was great, it communicated a real nice (but not over the top) level of passion to the piece, keep them coming.

Also - This is a firstā€¦

Top marks for camera shot/angle and audio. You are top of Dr Dans Leaderboard for technical delivery for Pierreā€™s Practice Routine :star:

2 Likes

:joy:. Thanks Dan, I have to laughā€¦that was an iPad perched on a book and I was worried that my 10ft ceilings and hardwood floors would make my piano ring like an old clunker. :joy:
I want to tell you that I just watched the Facebook link: pianogroove promotional and informative video that you have created, and the quality is astounding.

1 Like

Thanks @LoriNelson, glad you like it :grinning: Throughout my video career, you wouldnā€™t believe some of the props Iā€™ve had to improvise withā€¦ folded up card, chairs, boxes, haha, anything to get the right shot :+1:

Thatā€™s brilliant Lori! Serious me gets way too hung up on technicality and I have a hunch that if I lighten up and take a more fun approach like youā€™ve done I could be loving it even more than I already do. And youā€™re so right about how blessed we are to have such a gifted, passionate, and generous master teacher in Hayden.

Your performance of Laura was absolutely beautiful and I applaud your courage for sharingā€¦bravo!

2 Likes

Thanks Kim, so there you are, itā€™s your turn, you are among friends and fellow self-critical studentsā€¦so just relax and post one small thing you are working on. ( I hated the notion, but breaking that ice has really helped me chill outā€¦ mistakes and all)
I can play Beautiful Love as a ballad, but my next goal is to add left hand voicings and comp and improv on itā€¦ Iā€™ll keep ya posted.

p.s. If you ever take that motorcycle on a road trip to the PNW let me know!

@kim22 Yep itā€™s so easy to get caught up on small technicalities and little ā€˜mistakesā€™ but ultimately, we just play to express ourselves through music. Everything does not need 100% perfect.

I was honestly a terrible critic of my own music and hearing how much our students enjoy the arrangements has been a huge boost in confidence for myself to play in front of others. Itā€™s just so easy to be self critical!

Congratulations @Pierrot for starting this wonderful thread - and to @LoriNelson for sharing that beautiful rendition of ā€œLauraā€ :+1:

1 Like

Thanks as always Hayden, for the words of encouragement! And yes, thank you to Pierre and Lori!
I wish we could someday have a Pianogroove retreat where we would all get to meet in person!

I spent a fun day in Loriā€™s hometown several years ago and wish I could have known her then ā€¦we could have had a toast to you!

1 Like

Funny you mention that Kim as I think PianoGroove Meet Ups / Retreats would be a fantastic idea. We could have our teachers on stage giving lectures with overhead view projected onto a big screen, and then lots of keyboards with headphones for so that it doesnā€™t get too ruckus :smile:

Perhaps we could host multiple ones as we have students throughout the USA, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

I would be more than happy to spend a few weeks of the year doing this and Iā€™m sure our teachers would be interested too.

Something for us to explore this year for sure!

Yes I was up near @LoriNelson 's hometown over the summer for the Port Townsend Jazz Fest ā€¦ the Olympic Peninsula is such beautiful part of the USA and I had fun cycling/hiking with an old friend of mine.

We have a studio in Seattle for working with our Seattle-based teachers, soā€¦

If you do ever arrange that toast, let me know and i will come and join you groovy gals :grinning:

3 Likes

WOW!! Iā€™m looking forward to the evolution of that retreat!! Italy would be great fun lol, but wherever it ends up being Iā€™ll want to be there. You are definitely the everything is possible kind of thinker! :blush:

2 Likes

Nice. Which chord progression are you playing over and key?
6 2 5 1 etc
Thanks
Dr Dean

2 Likes

Beautiful! You have inspired me to record a video. I will use iPad Pro but not sure how to send it.
Dr Dean

2 Likes

in this case i was just waking up and playing some kenny Barron voicing which fly me to this little piece ā€¦ nothing about theory send me to this piece ā€¦ just my ears and fingering trying to catch what i had in my head one chord or melody getting me to the next ā€¦ more a ambience to catch than a key at this moment.

diminished harmony is around i think

1 Like

I am really a windows guy but it should not be such complicate you can download it in youtube or just on some dropbox or icloud and just paste a link to it .

heres a link to post it on youtube

ļ£æ How to Upload Videos Straight From The iPhone iPod iPad to YouTube

[Hayden Hill]

Yes simply drop a YouTube URL in the thread and it will automatically embed.

We can also do the same with Vimeo URLs.

Now , we are all waiting this video Doctor !

Yes as @Pierrot says, the best thing to do is to upload your video to YouTube, and then simply copy the YouTube URL into the forum post.

When you copy a YouTube URL into the forum post, it automatically creates a video embed.

The benefit is that YouTube can handle big video files, and also ensure the video playback speed is top notch.

@Dan - do you have any ideas here?