New Course By Jovino - Ideas Needed Please For Next Course

These sound awesome Hayden. Some of the 5 minute masterclass topics sound fascinatingly out there!

1 Like

This looks incredible Hayden!

Given that Jovino played for 15 yrs with Hermeto Pascoal, I would love to just hear an interview of him talking about that! Ask him about playing Hermetoā€™s astonishing tune ā€œPipoca,ā€ which is on Sergio Mendesā€™s Brasileiro album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loipoSsC7O8

Itā€™s a bit complex for a tutorial but still!

Martin

2 Likes

Thanks Martinā€¦ we have a full day recording session on Monday, and these tutorials will be edited and published over the coming month or so.

Hereā€™s a link that Jovino shared on his Facebook page:

Itā€™s worth following him, he shares lots of great updates of him playing music, and information on his various shows and concerts.

We shared his recent post on PianoGrooveā€™s Facebook page, Jovino tells the story of how he met Hermeto Pascoalā€¦ check it out here:

Hereā€™s a direct link to the article here:

Iā€™m very excited for this upcoming series of lessons, I will post updates in this thread so keep checking back here. I will pass your feedback onto Jovino, as well as the rest of the ideas and suggestions in this thread :sunglasses:

Cheers!
Hayden

1 Like

Sorry I came in so late on this discussion! Seems like a lot of great stuff has been happening with the Brazilian tutorials while I was away! Iā€™m going to keep a closer eye on this thread from now on.

1 Like

Jovino says hi to everyone at PianoGroove :wave:

Hereā€™s a snap from our recording session today at PianoGrooveā€™s Seattle Studio.

This morning we recorded 10 x 5-Min Masterclass lessons - some really awesome topics from the list above and Iā€™m excited to get these published.

And this afternoon weā€™ll be creating 3 detailed Brazilian jazz standard studies on the following tunes:

• Desafindo
  • Ɓgua de Beber
  • Sambolero

The recording session has gone fantastic so far.

Jovino and I looked over this thread and also the other feedback Iā€™ve received to ensure we are delivering exactly what our students want to learn.

More announcements to follow on these lessons. Cheers!

4 Likes

Awesome! :smiley: :palm_tree:

1 Like

Now onto the editing stage :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Love the sound of the non-song lessons!

1 Like

Cant wait to hear what this great master will give us ))

Love so much is playing :sunglasses:

ps did you notice the sound in the first lessons was clipping a bit , his playing seems really powerfull

1 Like

Yes I did Pierre, that was actually my mistake, I have since learnt how to use Logic better to export the audio and prevent it from peaking like that.

I have all of the files from Jovinoā€™s first course, and so my plan is to re-edit the audio layer which shouldnā€™t be too much work.

Needless to say, that same issue wonā€™t be happening this time with the lessons above :sunglasses:

Cheers!

great to hear that ā€¦ was just so painful to hear that ā€¦ thks so much

Looks great Hayden - any idea what sort of timeframe the lessons should be available?

Yes the editing is underway Martin and Iā€™ll be publishing the lessons as they are finished. The first to come shortly.

Iā€™m aiming to get all 13 lessons online this month with the help of our editing team.

Lessons 1 - 10 are 5-min masterclassses so the editing is a quicker process than for the 3 jazz standard lessons.

Also, we will soon have a new website section so each teacherā€™s masterclass lessons will be housed in individual course pages. Currently all teachersā€™ masterclass lessons are housed in the same course. I think the former will be a better structure.

Iā€™ll post all updates in this thread. Cheers!

Hi Brazilian Groovers!

The first of Jovinoā€™s lessons have been published, Iā€™ve added them to a new course page ā€œBrazilian Grooves Course Vol. IIā€.

The 2 lessons are the beautiful tune ā€œDesafinadoā€:

and also a short study of 2/4 time:

New Teacher Specific Masterclass Courses

If you check out the Bossa Nova Lessons Category, you will see that we are now building out teacher specific masterclass courses:

Iā€™m confident we can get most of the Jovinoā€™s latest lessons up on the website this month.

Iā€™ll post all updates here and enjoy the 2 lessons above.

2 Likes

Triads As Fundamental Building Blocks Of Harmony

This lesson ties in nicely with other areas of the PianoGroove syllabus, mainly Upper Structure Triads for major, minor, and of course, for dominant chords.

This lesson explores triads from a harmonic standpoint, the next lesson explores the use of triads from a melodic standpoint from which we can derive improvised melodies and solos.

2 Likes

Sambolero Tutorial

Hey Brazilian Groovers :wave:

The latest Samba lesson has been published on Joao Donatoā€™s beautiful composition ā€œSamboleroā€.

In this lesson, Jovino walks us through the history, harmony, and an improvised arrangement:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Sambolero !!!
:sunglasses::sunglasses: ā€¦ lovely song and and solo arrangement ā€¦ Bravo Mr Jovino Santos

i love this groove and fresh easy melody going over

Thanks you so much

Agreedā€¦ this tune has such a great groove.

You may notice we have made some improvements to the lesson layout, better audio, and also the enharmonic equivalents such as C#/Db ā€¦ should now be correct most of the time :grin:

Enjoy the lesson Pierre!

1 Like

Hey Brazilian Groovers,

Hereā€™s another Brazilian classic for us to explore - ā€œAqua De Beberā€ taught by Jovino:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Brilliant timing! Iā€™m working on this just now - thanks so much to you and Jovino!

1 Like