Major Scales Quiz Tool

Hi all,

Here’s a useful tool built by Bart @bkzl - one of our students.

https://major-scales.bartkozal.com/

The tool randomly generates scale degree questions for major scales… such as:

• What is the “2nd note in D Major”
  • What is the “6th note in B Major”
  • What is the “3rd note in F# Major”

This is a fantastic tool to “test your reflexes” and your general scale knowledge. If it takes you longer than a split second to get the answer… then it shows you need to work on this.

When playing jazz, you don’t have time to stop and think… the music will not stop and wait for you. The answers to these questions should be second nature to you.

Remember that the major scales are truly the foundation for everything else, and so time spent here will help you throughout your jazz education.

The tool also requires enharmonically correct anwers:

For example, using:

• What is the “3rd note in F# Major”

If you said “Bb” that would be incorrect, the correct answer is A#.

Although they are the same note on the keyboard, they are spelled differently due to the key so we would say they are “enharmonically equivalent”.

Thanks to @bkzl for creating this wonderful tool! :clap:

3 Likes

Hey there,

I was wondering the same thing like Claudio. Of course it is more fun to learn a song, while understanding the Chords and Chord progressions, but as far as I understand your lectures, one still has to learn the chords by heart, in order to be able (some day) to easily find the right chord on the spot…

I was wondering, if there is any tool (software) that could quizz you on chords, rather then individual notes and work with a digital piano attached. A little bit like guitar hero for piano, but not for learning specific songs, but just for practicing chords and voicings…

I have looked at https://www.synthesiagame.com/ and http://pianomarvel.com, but both don’t seem to have basic jazz chords in their exercises.

Now, I don’t believe in learning songs by following this kind of software, but I would love to have a gamified way of learning the chords, basically in the format of

TRIGGER (eg. Dmaj7 written on screen - with or without score) – PLAY (actual chord on my piano) – ASSESS (via midi or via accoustic recognition on analog piano), if I played it right – SCORE (collect points for tracking progression over time) and over time increase the spead of new triggers and/or make the chords more complex…

Maybe @bkzl could program something like this :wink: (No pressure…) Or does Ireal Pro have the functionality to assess your playing?

Cheers, Moritz

1 Like

I also sent PianoMarvel an email, if they offer something like this or if they could add it… I will report, once I know more.

1 Like

Great idea Moritz!

I have moved the conversation to this thread on the Major Scale Quiz Tool, to keep it focused on the topic.

I’m currently not aware of any such tool that would gamify the process of learning chords.

However, there are many practice exercises with the iRealPro app that you can use.

You can find them here:

Jazz Practice Exercises (use the search box at the top)

For example, I searched for “7th chords”, and check the 2nd post in this thread:

Jazz Practice Exercises - Page 40 - you can download exercises that run through all types of chords.

You can increase the tempo as you get better at recognising them, so whilst you wouldn’t receive points, you would receive the gratification of completing the exercise.

You can also change the key so that you are being exposed to 7th chords in all 12 keys.

I’ve attached a screenshot below for you.

If I can be of further assistance just let me know :slight_smile:

I will try this out today. Sounds great @bkzl

Awesome. Thanks for that. I haven’t bought Irealpro yet, but will do so now. It looks just like what I was looking for.

I am also enjyoing @bkzl s tool a lot :wink:

by the way: amazing response time! Thanks for your help so far.

Yes the iRealPro is a wonderful learning tool to supplement your jazz studies.

You can find a full explanation of the iRealPro software here: iRealPro Backing Tracks Setup

My pleasure Moritz… glad to help out! :sunglasses:

E%23%20vs%20F

now you’re just being mean!

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes that’s an ‘enharmonic equivalent’ :grin:

Ultimately, it is the same note, with the same sound, just spelt differently.

Remember that the goal is to learn all major scales numerically. So as long as you associate that note with the 7th degree of F# major, you’re all good.