Guillaume Practice Schedule & Goals

@Hayden I have another question concerning improvisation, well it concerne the left hand, what types of voicings should i do when improvising with the right ? I’ve thought about inversions, maybe add some extensions ?

Hi Guillaume :wave:

Great question!

The type of voicings we can use in our left hand when improvising largely depends on the context.

In A Solo Piano Context:

When performing solo jazz piano, we should be establishing the basis of the harmony by playing the root for most of the chords in the progression.

We could play ‘left hand shell voicings’ such as root and 7ths, and root and 3rds.

Another nice option could be a ‘left hand stride style’ where we play the root way down in the lower registers and then bring our left hand up to play a rootless voicing.

That’s 2 options for solo piano performance. You could also combine both of these styles.

Left hand accompaniment styles vary based on personal taste. When listening to my favourite solo jazz pianists - Bill Evans, Kieth Jarrett, Barry Harris, Red Garland, Hank Jones - this is what I hear them doing.

My best advice would be to listen and transcribe from the players you want to sound like.

When A Bass Player Is Present:

If we are playing with a bass player or the iRealPro app, then the bassline/foundation of the harmony is being covered.

This frees up our left hand to drop the root and explore rootless harmony. We can experiment with interesting inversions, extensions, & alterations such as the voicings we cover in our rootless voicings course:

I hope this helps and remember that there is no ‘set-in-stone’ way to accompany our improvisations.

The key is listening to many different players and find a style that you like the best, and that you would like to sound like. Then study it and transcribe it . That’s my biggest tip! :sunglasses:

Hi all, this is time to get back on the journey, i’ve already started to play a lot again last week, but with Emma’s log, i feel i have to keep posting, so for this week (from 16 to 23 of september) i will be doing:

-learn the bridge of Autumn Leaves and What is this called love, finishing to learn the chord of Summertime, i’ve been focusing on playing melody + shell vocings, my goal was to learn the chord in the first hand.

-Im also practicing chord tones soloing on that tunes (with going up, then going down, then random chord tones in quavers for now) so i wanna keep that going.

-Practicing approach pattern on the blues, i’ve been working a lot on double enclosures, even if double enclosures on the second chord in a single bar still feels hard ( for exemple the F7 right after C-7)

Also i would like to know more about practicing on 2 and 4 with a metronome, should i put my voicings on these beats, and does it works for all tunes ? I’ve watched the lesson on that with Autumn Leaves.

–Guillaume–

PS: Hmm… @Hayden maybe you didn’t see my question above :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Im gonna focus on playing triplets on the blues for this week, then obmit the 2nd triplet, swing feel focus, because my improvisations sounds flat ! So i really need to improve and focus on that area, and explore maybe playing chords on 2 & 4 on the standards im currently learning

2 Likes

Great thread you have here Guillaume. I see you have a good plan about your practices - and short term or long term goals - how’s everything going? All the best. btw nice song pick, I also love Autumn Leaves though I haven’t learned it yet :smiley: