Devices and software for posting our videos

Hi Smole

I found this for you : seems you need two adapters

look at the youtube video in this page which explicate how to do it more clearly

Hope it helps you

Good luck .

ps : i never use it personnaly.

Merci bien, Pierre, for the quick response. On the first and quick reading, the article is full of useful information and I will read it more carefully later on.

I am sorry that I was not clear in what I was looking for: an effective direct link (bypassing the use of external mic) from the digital piano to iPad. [I have a functional set with the external mic that I have set up last year with a most helpful guidance from Dan, you, Hayden, and others].

It seems that iPad, being an Apple product, requires very specific cables and connectors for the Apple products that I have not been able to find to set up a direct ling: digital piano >>> iPad.

Any thoughts on the score?

Thank you again. Smole

I think if you can record from a mic in the ipad you can record the output of your digital piano the same way ā€¦ let me know

Recording from a mic is working fine; however, recording from the digital piano does not work for some reason. It seems that I have to have some intermediate electronic gadget to enable that connection Weird but true (although it is possible that my skills are so inadequate thatā€¦). Thanks for the response and encouragement, Pierrot., Iā€™ll keep trying.
Smole

Hi Smole
The only difference btw a mic and a the audio output of your digital piano is the level of output

you mean you can record on the ipad from a mic with your adapters ? which mic is it ?
are you sure your are using the audio output ? dont remember what is your digital piano
can you record your piano on other device than the ipad ?

all this seems a bit strange .

Thanks again, Pierrot for trying to help. I decided to stop looking. I have a functional set up to record audio or video on my iPad, with an external mic and that is fine for what is needed. [My hope to get a better quality recording Iā€™ll just have to put on hold].

Again, thanks for all the help, I see that you understand a frustration of a fellow playing and thatā€™s kind of you. Best, Smole

youā€™re welcome ā€¦ those tecnical aspect of music cant sometimes get us crazy ā€¦ i already get some ā€¦ :wink:

Hayden I have a camera related question,

Iā€™ve recently moved and purchased a yamaha cp88 which I need to use for my zoom lessons. Unlike with my acoustic piano where I had set the camera tripod directly on the (closed lid) of the piano. I am now in a smaller room with my digital keyboard basically shoved against a wall.
I believe in your video here showing an overhead shot, your keyboard is in a more open area and youā€™ve place your camera tripod in front of the keyboard. I cannot do that, so Iā€™ll need to put my tripod a) on the floor b) behind where Iā€™m sitting, or possibly to one side.

Can you post a behind-the-scenes photo of your camera / tripod setups that youā€™ve used for overheads of a digital keyboard ?

thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael :wave:

Yes currently Iā€™m using a Manfrotto tripod and Camera Arm - a couple of photos below.

The arm screws directly onto the tripod plate, and there is a camera bracket on the other end of the arm which screws into any handy-cam or DLSR. I would be cautious about using this arm with a heavy DLSR cam, but it works fine as long as the camera is not too heavy.

Hereā€™s the product listing on Manfrotto, and the exact model number is ā€œ196B-2ā€ and you can find these on Amazon.

Hereā€™s how it looks from above and from the side:

Whilst this could be positioned at the side of the piano, I have the feeling that the below setup would be better for you:

Horizontal Weighted Camera Arm

When we recorded the Hammond Organ course, we had a similar issue in that the back of the organ was too large to position the camera there. Instead we positioned the camera at the side, see the photos of that setup here:

Here are a few horizontal arm products on Amazon:

This setup would allow you to have the tripod at the side of your keyboard.

The arm did bounce a little every time we hit ā€œrecordā€ on the camera so we had to wait 20 second or so for the camera to stabilise. The weight on the other side of the arm was essential.

Let me know if I can help further :sunglasses:

1 Like

Excellent reply Hayden,

really appreciate the accessories links, and the side shot for the organ setup really sets me straight. (nice mic job on the leslie btw)ā€¦

As for a camera, Iā€™ve bought a few of these small, no microphone video cameras. They are super light, have a nice field of view for down shots over a piano. I prefer to do my own mic placements, and never liked the mostly crappy micā€™s in cameras these days.

link to the cameras I use:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1572703-REG/vdo360_vdosu_1see_usb_hd_webcam.html/overview

thanks again,
Michael

1 Like

Thanks for the reference and the link to the VDO360 1SEE webcam, @Michael_J_Albanese.

A major problem I have is that the wide-angle aspect of most webcams severely distorts any overhead view of the keyboard, causing the edges of the picture to bend. Iā€™ve somewhat solved the problem by flipping the cam 90-degrees.

Do you have that problem with the VDO360 1SEE?

Regards,
Peter

Peter,

I havenā€™t had that problem with this camera. I guess some of that would depend on your positioning of the camera (e.g. distance down to the keyboard, etc.). When I position the camera tripod on my acoustic baby grand (closed lid), mount this camera using the 1/4" 20 thread standard mount it comes with, the ā€˜naturalā€™ view of the camera will of course be flipped and look ā€˜upside downā€™ when fed to the computer.

But I use the OBS (Open Broadcast Software) on my mac laptop, into which I route the video feed. Once in OBS, I create a scene within the software and that allows me to flip the video view 180 degrees, effectively turning the video scene around to give the players view of the keyboard.

You mentioned 90 degrees, so I assume your going for a side mount (as Hayden did in his shooting of the organ). Once again using OBS I would then rotate the video scene youā€™ve created by the requisite 90 degrees to achieve the players perspective.

As long as the camera isnā€™t positioned too close to the keyboard (OBS allows you to resize the scenes you create) there should not be any fisheye / distortion at the edges, effects.

hope that helps,
Michael

Thanks for the reply, @Michael_J_Albanese,

Iā€™ve also used OBS for videos; it works very well.

Below is a normal (landscape mode) photo from my j5create 1080p webcam. This webcam has a 80Ā° field of view, which causes the ā€œfisheyeā€ distortion you see at the edges of the photo. I looked into other cameras but most were very expensive Canon units (costing over $1,000). I was hoping to find a webcam that did not have a wide angle lens, but theyā€™re hard to come by.

I can twist the j5create webcam 90Ā°, which helps because the lens does not have quite as radical a curvature in the vertical as it does in the horizontal, but doing that substantially narrows the field of view (Iā€™d have to put the web cam about 10-feet above the keyboard to capture the full width).

Thanks,
Peter

Peter that is strange for sure. I have just completed 6 weeks of moving and no where near setting up my equipment. But found this old photo of my setup, this of course is the ā€˜naturalā€™ view from the overhead camera.

Camera mounted on a tripod standing on top of grand piano, and it is at a right angle pointing straight down. Lots of crap in the photo but this is a screen grab from OBS. I would then rotate that particular scene 180 in OBS and it looks as though the camera was mounted from behind (like I believe yours really is).

Iā€™ve had nothing but straight views, no fisheye, and the distance from the camera down is (perhaps) 6 feet from the ground (so I donā€™t hit my head on it). Distance from keyboard is certainly less than that.

Camera is only about $70, you can likely return if not happy, but I have 2 with no issues .

Michael

@Michael_J_Albanese,

The webcam you recommendā€”the VDO360 1SEEā€”has a 70-degree field of view (FOV); my j5create has an 80-degree FOV. A bit of web research tells me that, ideally, Iā€™d need a 57-degree FOV to get rid of that fisheye effect. The only webcam I can find that comes close to that spec is the AUSDOM AW635, with a 60-degree FOV.

It is possible to crop the image in OBS, but youā€™d need more height to encompass the full keyboard within the cropped image.

Regards,
Peter

Peter

In fact I do crop the image, but that is mostly to eliminate the sheet music stand and visible hardwood flooring. I never encounter fish eye either uncropped or cropped. Perhaps my camera stand is high enough to compensate, and Iā€™ve been blissfully ignorant of the issue :wink:

Michael

Peter

Iā€™ve setup my video camera for zoom lessons, thought Iā€™d enclose this video. I used one of the attachment arm Hayden recommended, as I was able to place the camera tripod off to one side, rather than directly behind the keyboard:

tying another video format in case last one does not work:

2 Likes

Nice job with the tripod setup @Michael_J_Albanese and thanks for sharing for others to see how this can be configured.

Does anyone know if vidami youtube looper works with the pianogroove videos?