Upcoming Features - Opinions Welcome!

Check out this thread for information on the features we are adding to the website. Also feel free to add your own suggestions :relaxed:

Here’s some things I’m currently working on:

1. A Search Box in the Header of the Website
    This will allow you to search for specific jazz standards and find all lessons that cover that tune (most theory lessons have specific examples from jazz standards so this will help you find this content)
    And Vice Versa, if you search for a theory topic, it will return jazz standard lessons that cover that topic so you can apply the theory in context. Complete

2. Restructuring the Main Lessons Library
    I will be dividing the main lessons library into 5 separate pages. The additional pages will be: Jazz Piano Chords, Jazz Piano Scales, Jazz Chord Progressions and Jazz Improvisation.
    This will help with navigating the website and finding the content you are interested in.

3. The PianoGroove Blog
    This has been in the pipeline for a while and is very close to being finished. I receive a LOT of questions via email and as many of you know, I spend a lot of time replying to you personally in great detail.
    I realised that these ‘answers’ should be available to everyone and so the blog will be a ‘Question & Answer’ database containing the most common questions I receive. I have already added 8 Questions and Answers and I’m finalising the design to launch it very soon.

4. Tweaks to the New Video Player
    There are a few things I’m aware of, such as the Play button getting in the way when the video is paused… these will be addressed shortly.

5. Audio Versions of Jazz Standard Arrangements
    I received a great suggestion to create audio versions of the jazz standard arrangements so that these can be listened to and studied aurally whilst away from the website. In Progress!

6. New Website Sections
    Based on feedback from members, I will be building out new sections of the website. The first will be a Bossa Nova section providing Bossa Nova theory and standards.
    The second will be a Blues section which provides guidance on the structure of the blues, chords, scale and improvisation.
    PianoGroove will always have a primary focus of jazz piano but I also want to branch out to these areas.

7. Captions and Multiple Languages
    I am working on adding a subtitle feature to all videos. This is also known as Closed Captions (CC) and is available on most YouTube videos. PianoGroove’s custom video player has the ability to add captions by clicking a button. I think this would be a great feature for those who are not fluent in the English language.
    The first step is to create the caption files in English and then they will be translated into the following languages: Portuguese, Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian, German and possibly others.
    If you are fluent in any these languages and would be interested in helping out, I can offer you lifetime membership and support. It’s important to have a basic knowledge of music harmony and terminology and so the students of PianoGroove are the people i’m interested in hearing from! :slight_smile:

8. Video Chaptering
    This came out of the discussion on video length and I think it’s a great idea. Here is a demo of what can be achieved with the video player. It would be great to have this chaptering feature on all videos. From a technical standpoint it is pretty simple to implement.

9. Jazz Event Notifications & Alerts
    Find out when there are notable jazz players are performing in your city/region. This data would likely have to be pulled in from other sources. A brilliant idea to encourage everyone to listen to live jazz!

I will keep everyone updated on the progress and status of these tasks and I’d love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and ideas below.

I love all your new additions. Can’t wait for next lesson. I am interested in blues and I love your 2 lessons on Alone together. Thanks so much for your incredible hard work and dedication

3 Likes

Hayden, thanks so much for your great website!
Along with the changes that you plan it would be great to have Practicing sessions for the lessons (a list of task and exercises to learn how to apply the topic covered in the video)

2 Likes

Thanks Michael - the points 1-4 should be done in the next week or so - I will update the numbered points above as they are completed :slight_smile:

Sure thing… more improv lessons will be coming soon.

Hey Olga, I think that’s a great idea… I have already created a lesson on How To Practice 251s - check that out. We use the iRealPro app which is really useful - I’d highly recommend you download it on your laptop, tablet, or mobile.

I’ll also look at doing something similar for the other theory lessons. Thanks for the suggestion Olga!

Hi Hayden,

Just a heads up for a concert on May 17 this year at RNCM - Brad Meldhau trio (Larry Grenadier on bass and Jeff Ballard on drums) check it out !

Paul Jarvis

1 Like

Also Hayden, as a suggestion, how about ‘upcoming concerts’ to alert members to any recommended live performances coming up.

I notice Chick Corea is playing at The Cheltenham Jazz Festival on 30th April 2017 with his Trilogy trio ((Corea / Gomez / Blade)

and at The Barbican,London on 24th June 2017 with his Elektric Band.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the head up Paul… that sounds like one not to be missed!

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps there is a way to pull this data in automatically so that it updates whenever a new event is added.

I have a few friends in computer programming so I will float the idea past them and see what they think.

I’ve added it to the list above too… thanks Paul :slight_smile:

(for how to adapt this to low profile jazz studient, lessons on transcriptions)

Some great albums there!

So you’d like a lesson/information on how to transcribe from these contemporary players?

yes,…do you use some technology as special programs to do it ? or to slow it down ? or to isolate voices ?
transcription is something difficult…

Yes I do, the program is called Transcibe… you can download it here: https://www.seventhstring.com/

It comes with a 30 day trial and then you can buy a lifetime license for $39.

I use the program virtually every day. In this lesson I demo the features so check that out.

Here’s a post I wrote with some other important pointers: https://www.pianogroove.com/the-importance-of-transcription/

To summarise:

1. Make sure you know the form and the chord changes of the song you are trying to transcribe from

2. Play along with the recording and play left hand voicings underneath the solo so that you can hear where the improvised notes are falling in relation to the chord changes.

3. Following steps 1 & 2 will give you the foundation for analysing what you are hearing. If you know the chord you can then analyse the line in terms of scale degrees and you then have the formula to play the line in any key.

4. At first, identify lines over 251s (both major and minor) as you will then be able to use these in many jazz standards you are playing. This is why you need to know the chord changes!

5. Always transpose the lines you have transcribed - preferably into all 12 keys.

1 Like

Would love to see a lesson on Mood Indigo

1 Like