Lesson Structure & Length

Hey everyone,

I am trialling a suggestion with regards to lesson length. Please express your thoughts below on whether PianoGroove lessons (both theory lessons and jazz standard lessons) should be split into 2 (or more parts). And if so what you preferred length of lesson would be.

Do you think lessons should be split into multiple parts?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If answered ‘Yes’ to the above, how long should each part be?

• 5 - 10 minutes
  • 10 - 15 minutes
  • 15 - 20 minutes
  • 20 - 25 minutes
  • 25 - 30 minutes
  • 30 minutes +

0 voters

Many Thanks!
Hayden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent suggestion - it’s much easier to consume the material when it is broken down as was done with Darn That Dream. it helps in directing focus.

I don’t think it’s a TIME issue, but.the lesson usually has different components like left hand voicing followed by more complex arrangement and or some improv…, and once I’ve learned the first part, I usually write down the time the next section begins to view e next concept. The lesson time lengths are absolutely fine, but it might be nice to have chapters.

Awesome thanks Robert. I agree that it makes the lesson more digestible and focused. I think this would be even more useful on the longer lessons like My Romance which was 44 minutes! I got a bit carried away with that one :smile:

Great, that’s really insightful Lori. One of the reasons I picked the new video player is that it has lots great features for pretty much any functionality you can imagine. For example, you can add video chapters…

Here is a demo of it: https://flowplayer.blacktrash.org/chapters.html

This is a basic example, you have to click ‘play’ first and then by clicking on the images below the video, it will cue you to that part.

This could work well for the different sections of the jazz standard:

• 1st A section
  • 2nd A section
  • Bridge
  • etc…

It would require some redesigning of the video page to fit the boxes underneath but that’s no problem.

I’ve added this idea to the new feature list: Upcoming Features - Opinions Welcome!

Thanks!

hi, Is feedback ongoing??? Or is this session obsolete?? I so love your approach and desire to improve and recognize the challenge of instructing many levels at once. I occasionally get lost and frustrated and so also take smaller bites. I appreciate the many examples and dissect them. I would recommend tho to be cautious about mixing terms when one is drawing their own road map.
I got quite confused in the improv section on the Major Blues and Minor Blues and attempted to construct the relative D. relative minor blues scale from the formulat given but realized not so. Eventually i came to understand what you were relating but again became confused because no formula given for Major blues, ie … 1st, 2nd, b 3, 3 etc and discussing the approach by usig the relative minor but beginning on the minor 3rd of the relative minor confusing.
And then what I was absorbing as the Major Blues scale, for example in F, was referred to as the D minor blues…Yikes…!!!.
So just a comb through for clarity would be helpful.
The notion occurs to almost have two streams flowing in each or some sections, beginner/intermediate and then more
advanced.
I applaud your efforts and style, it is a daunting, beautiful, circular task, and ultimately such fun.
Also in the same lesson more confusion occurred. How clever to be able to slow the speed down.
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, yes this is still on going so feel free to chip in :slight_smile:

To answer your question:

The major and minor blues are the same scale. Just like the C Major and A Minor Scales.

So D Minor Blues and F Major Blues are the same scale, containing exactly the same notes, but starting on a different note.

There are 2 approaches to learn the major blues scale, the first is to learn the ‘pairs’ so D minor and F Major, A Minor and C Major etc… I don’t like this approach but I wanted to highlight it in the lesson just incase it works better for some students.

The second is my preferred approach which is to memorise the formula…

I give you the formula to construct the major blues scale, which is the major pentatonic scale with the addition of the flat 3.

Considering you know your major pentatonic scales:

major_pentatonic_scales.pdf (574.0 KB)

You now also know the major blues scales in all 12 keys :wink:

I hope this helps Cheryl. Any further clarification needed just let me know.